Did you know that a number of diseases originate from the intestinal tract? The good news is that they can also be managed right from there when the body allows it, and such is the work that probiotics do.
What are probiotics?
Largely found in the human digestive system are live microorganisms considered vital in supporting the body’s immune and digestive system.
Their work is to destroy organisms that cause diseases, produce vitamins, and digest food. In addition to that, they keep a balance between the good and bad organisms to ensure your body functions as it should.
Probiotic effects on the body
- To boost the immune system- they move fast to counter attacks and prevent enemy flora from making you sick. They do this by limiting their food resources or completely finishing them off.
- Prevents antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) – when antibiotics are administered as a form of treatment, bacteria levels go down. As a result, the gut is prone to opportunistic infections that may cause diarrhea resulting in serious health problems. As a protective measure, it is recommended to take probiotics with the provided medication so as to counteract its effects.
- Healing irritable bowel syndrome- taking prescribed dosages of the supplement can greatly reduce bloating and flatulence thus improving the quality of your life.
- Promoting weight loss- a fast metabolism is necessary when trying to lose weight and probiotics helps the digestive system to work as it should so that cholesterol levels are regulated more efficiently.
- Prevents urinary tract infections- friendly organisms prevent the development of yeast infections by feeding on them.
- Promotes the proper functioning of the digestive system- helps to move food in your gut.
- Improve lactose tolerance-
- Improve brain functions
- Prevents bacterial infections
- Helps to lower blood pressure
Adding friendly microflora to your system
Although naturally found in the body, good bacteria sometimes need external influence to help boost its presence in your digestive tract.
Some of the proven ways to increase them include:
a) Consuming foods rich in probiotics
The process of fermentation is responsible for the production of good bacteria. Therefore, you can expect to find considerable amounts in vegetables such as kimchi and sauerkraut which can be easily included in your meals.
Yogurt, kefir, natto, raw cheese, and miso soup are nutritious foods that can also be used to enrich your diet with the necessary bacteria.
b) Empowering good bacteria
To survive and thrive, microorganisms like all living things need to feed, and an environment rich in the kind of food they need provides just that.
Foods rich in fiber such as chia seeds, organic fruits, and sweet potatoes when included in your diet go a long way in promoting the growth of helpful bacteria in your system.
c) Taking supplements
These provide a simple yet natural way of replenishing or introducing a number of good probiotics in your gut.
However, it is advisable to seek professional advice to establish whether this method is viable for you, as an abnormal rise in the levels may be dangerous to your health.
Useful probiotic strains
Even among the friendly bacteria, work is not generalized as each has its own role to play. Below are some of the most common ones in the human body:
- Lactobacillus casei
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Bifidobacterium longum
- Bifidobacterium breve
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Lactobacillus bulgaricus
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Bacillus coagullans
- Lactobacillus brevis
- Saccharomyces boulardii
- Bacillus subtilis
All these can be found either in foods or supplements. Caution must, therefore, be exercised when purchasing pills so as to ensure you not only get your money’s worth but that what you take is beneficial and safe.
First and foremost, find out what you need and go for products from trusted brands that will meet that need. Secondly, make sure that whatever you purchase has active or live cultures to ensure their efficacy. And finally, store the pills in a cold area so that they do not lose their ability to produce results.
When it comes to your body, no effort is too much. This is because it basically carries your lifeline and it is only by promoting your health that your life becomes worth living. Good health also makes you more productive and helps you achieve more on a day to day basis.
Your future self will thank you for being intentional about it.